Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

A crack in my back

It's a wonder i have any ass left at all. I froze most of it off Saturday morning. The first of four mornings for Deb and I at the Knox County Scenic Drive. We figured, hey, an inside gig would be great since Fall weather is so unpredictable around here. WE got up to Abingdon about 9:30 Friday night and set up our tables in this big ole show barn at the fairgrounds. I commented to Deb, "Someone has had chickens in here, I can smell them." And I could. In fact I smelled them off and on all weekend. Not a bad smell really. Just one that brings back memories. Memories of going to visit Grandma at the farm and volunteering to do the chores for her. Of going out to the chicken house and having to battle the rooster to get at the hens. Of having to reach under thier warm feathery bodies to get at the warm smooth eggs without them pecking your arm and hoping you didn't come away with any mites that would make you itch later. That smell was strong in the chicken house then. Year later after Grandma died and Dad and I tore down the chicken houses and burned them, the smell was there too. And the smell is in the grainaries in the barn now. Even though we've transformed them into tool sheds and storage areas, the smell remains. It's a comforting smell though if you thought about what caused the smell, it might not be so comforting. Feathers, urine, shit, baby chicks, rotten eggs and dead chickens. All part of the cycle of life on the farm. It leaves an odor that never quite washes off. Especially not off things as porous as wood or concrete.

The floor of the show barn at Abingdon is concrete. All the animals that have passed though there for 4-H shows and agricultural fairs have left their distinctive odors behind but it's the chickens that leave the most lasting impression.

We had a space heater with us Saturday and we covered the chairs with wool blankets. We even put some carpet down on the concrete to lessen the chill, but it was cold anyway. We set up around 8:15 in the morning and by 10, we gave up on making new stock because or fingers were frozen. We had a thermos of coffee and Deb drank most of it. I went in search of some hot water for tea and finally located another tea drinker a few booths down. About 2 pm it finally warmed up a bit and the otehr vendors started moving around more. We got to know all our neighbors. I'm particularly taken with the older lady who makes the coconut bon bons dipped in white almond bark instead of chocolate. I ate way too much of that stuff but at least I'm not allergic to it. The folks right behind us, we got to know real weel and joked with them throughout the weekend. They are selling some dreamcatchers as well which puts both of us in an awkward position as far as selling and what we tell the public about them. But thankfully, both our price ranges were comparable so one of us won't drastically outsell the other one. We even offered comments and tips to each other throughout the weekend on dreamcatcher construction.

Sunday was warmer of course since we had dressed for colder weather. By noon we were able to take off the coats and turn off the space heater. We were still in long sleeves though. The Civil War reenactors came around and admired our stuff and one lady bought the new malachite and sterling necklace and matching earrings I had made. We sold quite a few necklaces and bracelets this weekend. Though i can tell people are being a little more judicious with their money. They want to buy, they are just buying less of the bigger ticket items and staying with the lower priced things.

We made deals for some of the the other vendors. We sold the new cameo and red lip oyster shell necklace to the wife of the guy in back of us along with a nice fetish necklace Deb had just made. All in all, it was a good sale for the first weekend. Hopefully next weekend will do as well for us. Then only two more sales until the end of the year.

We were pretty well worn out when we got back to the farm last night so we just made some tacos and packed and headed back to Peoria. I was falling asleep sitting on the couch just after we got in so Deb ordered me off to bed and promptly fell asleep on the couch herself.

Now time to face anotehr long week of work. Only one more image to find for Mechanical Drawing and then it's full time back to Carpentry again. Whooopee!



( 6 comments — Leave a comment )
Oct. 8th, 2001 07:51 am (UTC)
Thought process
*reads friends list*

"Hmmmm Wander is wondering about his ass....does Wanders ass exist?"

*horrific realization*


Thanks for the the horrific mental image bud. I'm gonna go home, burn my clothes, and shower several times now.


Oct. 8th, 2001 08:33 am (UTC)
Re: Thought process
I'm sorry you are thinking about my ass now too. Wondering about showering again as well!



Oct. 8th, 2001 09:00 am (UTC)
Re: Thought process
well, i originally had a relevant comment, but now I'm thinking about your ass, too, it seems...

*shakes head*
Oct. 8th, 2001 09:09 am (UTC)
Re: Thought process
Now you I don't mind thinking about my ass for some reason. Mmmm feels kinda sexually actually. Bwahahahahahahah!


Oct. 8th, 2001 09:18 am (UTC)
Re: Thought process
hmm..maybe you do need that shower...
the thing that makes me wonder is if Cuddles is thinking about your ass...

oh, nevermind...this thought process is getting WAY OFF course...

Oct. 8th, 2001 09:29 am (UTC)
Re: Thought process
Ah well, it's a welcome diversion sometimes. Getting off course not thinking about my ass.


( 6 comments — Leave a comment )


Wander aka StoneBear
Bear Dancer Studios

Latest Month

December 2016

Page Summary

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Teresa Jones